Monday 14 July 2014

Candidate Info: why study overseas (in NZ)


The question often arises about what criteria you should use to select the "right" MBA programme. We recently conducted a survey of why students choose to study overseas and specifically choose to come to New Zealand and attend the Otago MBA. Respondents' answers follow familiar themes: affordability; geography/outdoors; desire to live and work in NZ; encouragement of international students; joy of travel, adventure, living abroad, pushing boundaries; stable economy with good job opportunities; Dunedin (e.g., beaches, peaceful, university city); global perspective with a focus on Asia/Pacific; and westernized, English speaking country. Here are sample responses:
  • Want a global perspective.
  • NZ is westernized and embracing of immigrant cultures, unlike the USA where after eight years there's no renewal of the visa. I would like to retire in NZ!
  • I like travelling and being abroad.
  • USA is cost prohibitive; New Zealand is more cost effective.
  • The focus is on Asia/Pacific; this region is booming; growing economically; I want to be part of it.
  • I prefer a one year MBA for economic reasons.
  • NZ is encouraging for international students: it is a good destination.
  • NZ is an English speaking country.
  • NZ is a unique environment; mix of cultures; with outdoor activities and beautiful scenery.
  • I want to try something new and push my boundaries.
  • [Otago] is a renowned University; number one in NZ; with a flexible curriculum (phase two); and I would not be just a number out of 400 in a class.
  • I'm a nature loving guy; travel a lot to the mountains. NZ is very beautiful.
  • NZ has a stable economy and has good job opportunities.
  • Dunedin: hills, beaches, peaceful and a university city. I can get total concentration on my studies.
  • I looked at a number of Universities (e.g., Copenhagen), but didn't have enough funds. NZ caught my eye.
  • The people are a joy to work with. NZ will help me to understand how people think.
So, the questions becomes: What are you looking for in an MBA experience? And, are you
the kind of person who would benefit from studying in New Zealand? 

Cheers,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment